At North View Middle School(NVMS) we believe that teaching and learning approaches should accommodate the diverse skills, abilities, and prior knowledge of young adolescents, cultivate multiple intelligences, draw upon students’ individual learning styles, and utilize digital tools. When learning experiences capitalize on students’ cultural, experiential, and personal backgrounds, new concepts are built on knowledge students already possess. One of the ways to do this is by integrating technology into students’ educational experience. With the use of iPad technology we are able to enhance learning and instruction; use the Schoology learning management system for communication and collaboration; and expanded online learning options for students.
With the addition of the iPads to a school community many worry about the misuse that can come with such a devise. Because of this concern NVMS took a proactive approach to the management of the iPads this year.
For example we:
- Held a parent meeting during Open House to help parents understand our deployment plan, student expectations and consequences associated with misuse.
- The district internet filters have been updated so that the following nuisance sites are blocked during the school day: Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram.
- A full time tech support ESP has been hired. Her work will primarily involve repairing the iPads, and assisting with the monitoring of inappropriate use.
- The ability to download unauthorized apps has been removed because student iPads are no longer associated with Apple IDs.
- With the help of our tech ESP, we will also be taking the “Big Brother” approach by monitoring student activity and sending out reminders and updates for students.
- A delayed deployment process has been implemented to allow for time to teach expectation lessons associated with the appropriate use of student iPads. View the video below to learn more about the appropriate use guidelines.
My hope is that with these proactive measures in place, our students will be equipped to fully engage with this powerful learning tool. If you have any questions about the digital learning initiative at NVMS please connect with me by filling out the form below.